The library is named for Commissioner Samuel Logan Brengle, apostle of holiness. His personal library was donated to the training college (then in the Bronx) in 1936, after his death. When the archives and museum were separated from the library in the 1980s, Commissioner Brengle’s library went to the museum at Territorial Headquarters, but his Order of the Founder medal and other objects are still on display along with rare Salvation Army books in the library conference room.
The Brengle Library today is built on the work of longtime librarian and former missionary, Major Lorraine Sacks. She saw the library through the move of the training college to Suffern in 1972, converted the collection to Library of Congress classification, and computerized the catalog and circulation.
The library settled in its present location in 1990. It was renovated and expanded in 2000 with the addition of the Susan E. Pichler Resource Center, which features a relaxing and elegant reading area just inside the glass entryway.
Suffern Free Library is just a few blocks away. The main reading room has a stained glass window from the mansion that served as the training college from 1972 to 1990.