A cadet who has become ineligible for the degree on the basis of either failing a course or having a GPA below the 2.0 standard has the option to seek remediation. The process is as follows:
- Cadet (or Lieutenant for post-Commissioning remediation) submits a request for remediation to the Education Office.
- Education Officer, in consultation with the instructor(s), assesses if course(s) can be remediated through supplemental work or if the course(s) must be repeated. Supplemental work may be appropriate if either the failure was associated predominantly with a particular course assignment or if a single assignment can be designed to assess mastery of more widespread course shortcomings. Otherwise, the course should be repeated.
- When repeating the course, the new grade will be averaged with the former course grade and so noted in the cadet's transcript (e.g. F/C).
For supplemental work:
- The instructor develops the specific assignment(s) and sets a tentative due date in consultation with the Education Officer.
- The Education Officer presents the proposal for supplemental work to the ARB for approval. The ARB will seek to maintain reasonable consistency in the level of rigor and the volume of work expected for remediation.
- If the proposal is approved, the cadet submits the supplemental assignment(s), according to the established due date, to the instructor who will grade the work. Standard late penalties will apply as needed. The grade for the supplemental work is averaged with the grade for the original assignment that caused the failure (or that proportion of the course being remediated). That average grade is then entered in the original course grade sheet, according to its intended weight in the course, to determine the new course grade. The instructor submits the new grade to the Education Officer.
- Both the original grade and that achieved after completing the supplemental work will appear on the transcript. Only the latter grade will be calculated into the overall GPA.
For repeat of courses:
- The Education Officer presents the proposal for a repeat of course to the ARB for approval.
- Approved repeat of courses will normally be scheduled as independent study courses during the summer assignment or post-Commissioning. The Education Officer, the Director of Curriculum, the instructor, and the field command (for post-Commissioning courses) will consult on appropriate timing.
- At the end of the course, the instructor submits the grade to the Education Officer.
- Both the original grade and that achieved for the repeated course will appear on the transcript. Only the latter grade will be calculated into the overall GPA.